2015 was filled with heart-wrenching, action-filled, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat movies. While there was plenty of competition for the best film, these five flicks ranked as my favorites of the year.
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In this action-packed movie set after the original films directed by George Lucas, JJ Abrams captures the return of many original characters, as well as the rise of two new heroes. Grossing over $1 billion in the first two weeks of the film being in theaters, Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a clear choice for number one.
2. The Martian. In the out of this world drama, Matt Damon plays Mark Watney, an astronaut left behind on Mars with minimal food and drink. While grossing $595 million, this fan favorite landed easily on planet number two for me.
3. Jurassic World. Grossing over $1.5 billion, the film set after the iconic series Jurassic Park takes you into a world in which dinosaurs roam the planet.
4. Furious 7. In this fast-paced film with many famous actors such as Paul Walker, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Vin Diesel, the crew is back and is seeking to take down a vengeful terrorist group. Ranking number five of all international box office records, this film has sped its way to number four on my list.
5. Inside Out. Deemed a little kid and sensitive parent movie, Inside Out, starring Kaitlyn Dias, Amy Poehler and Phyllis Smith, has proven that this is a full family, heart-warming film bound to bring anyone to tears. Making $856 million in worldwide box office, Inside Out was a clear top five. 2015 was a huge year for movie releases. From the continuation of the Star Wars series and the Jurassic Park series to a Disney feature film Inside Out, 2015 has shown a variety of movie types, drawing many different audiences worldwide.
by Clayton Holbrook